SDAT - Stopping Domestic Abuse Together
SDAT is an initiative led by Derbyshire Police in conjunction with Social Services, Health Services, schools and other agencies, who work together to safeguard children and adults.
Domestic Abuse can encompass but is not limited to the following types of abuse:
Children and young people witnessing domestic abuse
Witnessing domestic abuse is really distressing and scary and it causes serious harm to children.
Children who witness domestic abuse can experience a wide range effects. They may:
- Become anxious and depressed
- Have difficulty sleeping or have nightmares
- Be easily startled, flinch or react disproportionately to loud noises
- Complain of physical symptoms such as tummy ache
- Start wetting the bed
- Have temper tantrums and display challenging behaviour at school
- Behave younger than they are
- Not want to go to school
- Become aggressive towards others
- Have poor self-worth
- Have difficulty forming positive relationships
They may feel:
- Guilty - because they think they have done something wrong
- Powerless - because they can't stop the violence
- Confused - because it doesn't make sense
- Angry - because it shouldn't be happening
- Sad - because it's a loss
- Afraid - because they may be hurt, they may lose someone they love, others may find out
- Alone - because they think it is only happening to them
What is SDAT?
SDAT is an early notification system to schools to quickly notify them of any incidents of domestic abuse where the Police have attended a household where children live.
This enables schools to understand changes in a child's behaviour, attitude or general presentation and to support children if needed.
Where to find help and support
Derbyshire Domestic Abuse Support Line - 08000 198 668
The support line is the single point of access to all of the commissioned domestic abuse support services in the County. The line, which is delivered by Action Housing, is staffed by trained domestic abuse workers between 8am and 6pm, Monday to Friday.
This is an charity in Derbyshire offering specialist support to victims of domestic abuse. They offer a range of confidential support and advisory services to adults, young people and children.
Phone: 01457 856675